Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Pharmacy Internship-Day 2

Another 8 hours of standing at the pharmacy and I was exhausted after work. Today was another relatively easy day at the pharmacy with no long lines or angry customers. Like yesterday, I also had a chance to do a lot of counseling, with the guidance of another pharmacist sister of mine (the boss was off to take care of other duties today). I was proud to remember most of the counseling points on the use of an asthma inhaler during one of the counseling sessions. The patient, a teenage girl, seemed to be able to understand my instructions. With more time, the session would have been better if she could show me how to use the inhaler. As usual, I did a lot of counseling on antibiotics and remembered to emphasize their proper use to prevent resistance. Using my very broken Vietnamese, I explained to a young couple that the dexamethasone injection was used to stimulate fetal lung development because the doctor thought there was a chance of premature labor. Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid normally used to treat other conditions, such as arthritis, asthma, severe allergies and cancer. It's interesting how it can also be used for fetal lung development. The doctor who prescribes this medication, an OBGYN who specializes in high-risk pregnancies, also uses many unconventional drugs to stop contractions.

1 comment:

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!