Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Spontaneity

I had the nicest lunch hour today in the student lounge with a group of classmates. As usual, I went up there to heat up the noodles that I had made for lunch, for two days in a row, not really expecting to enjoy the food nor to find any company there. To the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised and greeted by a diverse group of classmates that I am extremely fond of for their down-to-earth attitude and genuine personalities.

We made small talks about various topics which included food from different cultures, the weather, among other things. However, my favorite part of our conversations was hearing the stories two classmates shared about disciplining and the comments about what damage females can cause with their fighting strategies (hair-pulling, scratching with their long finger nails, cracking skulls with their pointy high heels, and intimidating with their postures and facial expressions).

I had the most unexpected fun in a long while in that one hour shared with my classmates at the cost of not writing up the shadowing reflection for my IPPE experience. I figured that in the end, the one hour spent with them will be more pleasantly imprinted in my memory than most experiences in pharmacy school, which is composed of sitting in classes, studying endlessly in order to catch up with lectures and exams, trying to squeeze more activities into the limited "available" schedule, reading junk emails, and responding to numerous deadlines.

An added bonus to experience was the mixture of the crowd. I have been bothered by the fact that most of my classmates, myself included (sadly), form small groups of the same ethnic make-up to hang for lunch and other events. Since this group was composed of almost every ethnicities represented by the class, I was enlightened by stories from various cultures and different perspectives from the group members.

Although having a hectic pace is an inevitable part of pharmacy school, I believe there is nothing more important in life than a little spontaneity. It adds a little twist to my mundane existence and richness to my experience as a student pharmacist. It's important to achieve goals, however, it is also important to enjoy life at the same time. Who knows when I'm going to take my last breath? Therefore, I need to soak in life and enjoy my existence while l am still able.

2 comments:

Beckdog said...

I also enjoyed lunch and for all of the reasons you listed too. It seems like we both really needed that today.

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!