Saturday, January 19, 2008

Medication Compliance

I've been sick most of the time since the beginning of the quarter: sneezes, headaches, body aches, post-nasal drips, and coughs. As a result, I haven't been able to study much and spent most of the time in bed. I've been to the student health services twice to get help from the doctor and to get prescription drugs for my illnesses. After a lengthy discussion with the nurse practitioner, I realized that the persistent symptoms of nasal allergies result partly from my noncomplianced to medical regimens.

In order to become a pharmacist who promotes medication compliance, I think I have to convince myself to do that first. I was told by previous doctors and my pharmacist-sisters to be consistent with the use of Nasonex and antihistamines so I wouldn't get major allergic attacks and persistent coughs. However, thinking that I didn't have to rely on medicines to do the job, I used alternative means to strengthen my body: Chinese tonic soups, herbs, and cupping. In short, I don't like taking western medicines.

So far, I have failed to "strengthen" my body enough to get rid of allergies, leading to painful coughs and chest tightness. My stubbornness has resulted in the reliance on the use of another medicine, an inhaler for asthma, Maxair Autoinhaler (bronchodilator). The NP said that allergies have triggered a mild asthmatic reaction and that using this drug will also help my cough. My resolution: continuing to take Zyrtec (antihistamine) for as long as I need it, take cough syrup QHS PRN, and use the inhaler when I feel tightness in my chest. I hope these drugs will do the trick. Otherwise, I will not only miss out on learning in classes, but also shadowing a heart/lung transplant pharmacist and participating in other professional activities.

2 comments:

Alex Sicre said...

You're not alone in your medication noncompliance. Over 50% of patients on medication are not adherent to their medication regime. Did you know that 64% of them simply forget to take their meds?

Medication non-adherence leads to over $177 billion in unnecessary healthcare costs, lost revenue and 10% of all hospital admissions - annually in the US alone! As you have seen with your recurring symptoms, not taking your meds can lead to strengthened diseases, poor healthcare outcomes, and unnecessary trips to the medical center.

You should visit www.intelecare.com, to sign up for free medical reminders. You can set-up reminders for daily medications, prescription refills, doctor's appointments, etc.... All delivered via email, text or voice message when you want them!

Good luck with your studies and try to stay adherent to your meds. As a pharmacist in training, you should know better!

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!