Thursday, November 15, 2007

Flu Shots at Walgreens

The long awaited day had finally arrived: I finally got to put my immunization skills to use this afternoon at the clinic in Potrero's Wallgreens store! As an added bonus, I found out yesterday that I could do a 2-hour shift because one of my classmate was not able to go. I was really excited and nervous at the same time in anticipation of the event.
The excitement came from the fact that I would be able to practice giving real flu shots and pneumococcal shots to REAL PATIENTS! Although we got to practice sticking needles into our classmate to inject saline, I messed up on the IM shot because I put the needle in with too much force...and hurt my partner as a result. I have been envisioning in my mind how I would put the needle in with enough speed but not use as much force as I did. I couldn't wait until I could dress up in my white coat and professional attire to put my immunization skills to use.
At the same time, I was also very anxious about the event. Even though I had researched and found out the best time to get on the shuttle so I could arrive on time, the possibilities of getting there late kept on popping up in my mind. It felt like the pharmacy interview day all over again! I was worried that I would ruin UCSF's reputation as well as mine if I did not get there as promised. Moreover, I feared that I would be so shaky and clumsy when giving patients the shots that I would end up hurting them.
The two hours surprisingly turned out to be very pleasant and satisfying! I gave a total of six flu shots and one pneumococcal shot. Our supervisor, Joel, was extremely friendly, understanding, and positive. He totally related with my nervousness and was very thorough in explaining all the details to me before my first shot. After the initial shots, he also gave me little hints on how to make the procedure go more smoothly. I felt confident after giving the third shot. Everything went very well without any major problems. Only one patient that I gave the shot to bled a little.
I feel that I have benefited a lot from this experience. First and foremost, it allowed me to get over my fear of handling needles and giving people shots. Secondly, it was very satisfying being able to see the trust that the public has in us, especially with the white coat on. I felt more respected by others with my white coat, not only during the administration of the shots, but also in the store and even on campus. The white coat magically conjured up a lot of reverence: I felt like I got first-class service when I bought an item at Walgreens, when I made appointment to see the doctor at the student's health office, and of course, when I gave the shot. I am thankful that those who have worn the white coat before me and who are currently wearing them right now have established a generally positive reputation with the public. As a future health care provider and a current student pharmacist who has the honor of wearing the white coat, I feel tremendous responsibility in maintaining that long-established trust and respect.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I was told that you could go to the UCSF website to see a schedule for when pharmD students were giving flu shots. I can't find this schedule. Can you post a link? I'd really appreciate it. Also, how much does it cost?

Thanks!
Tim

ps. Good luck with finals!

ucsfpharmacy said...

The UCSF (Parnassus) free flu shot clinics happened weeks ago. We are now currently giving flu shots at various Walgreens. You should check with a Walgreens near you or go online. It cost $25 per shot, if I'm not mistaken.