Friday, October 12, 2007

White Coat Ceremony

TL: My husband & I;
BR: Mary Anne Koda-Kimble; School Dean

Confession of a Student Pharmacist

Perhaps it was the rain; perhaps, it was the fire alarm that went off during our long rehearsal at Cole Hall, I grumpily remarked to my classmate during the break before the start of the event: “I am so not digging this White Coat Ceremony!” While my classmates excitedly clustered around to take pictures with friends and family members who had flown in from afar, I excluded myself in an attempt to uplift my spirit with a chocolate and almond Haagendaz ice cream bar at the Moffit-eria.
To my disappointment, the ice cream did not do its magic. I still felt gloomy as I stood in line waiting to enter the auditorium with the white coat on my left arm while asking myself why everyone was so hyped up. I just could not comprehend the justification for spending so much money and wasting so much time on this afternoon.
The White Coat Ceremony began with greetings from Mary Anne Koda-Kimble, whose red highlighted bangs and occasional jokes cheered me up a little. However, my attitude about this over-rated event had not changed even after Mary Anne reasoned that it was a celebration of our academic achievement and other personal qualities that got us into the number one pharmacy school in the nation and it symbolizes our transition from "pharmacy students to student pharmacists." Being a team player, I formally walked up the stage with a group of nine other student pharmacists to be coated by alumni members, while secretly feeling relieved that the long afternoon would soon be over.
My emotions were altered by an inspirational speech made by a 4th year student pharmacist, Troy Drysdale, whose dedication, innovation, and hard work had led him to many leadership positions and to novel paths for others to follow. Through his speech, I felt honored to be part on an institution where change and initiation are encouraged along with the passion for “serving the underserved.” I was also amazed at how much impact one individual can make to his/her university and the community.
Nonetheless, the turning point occurred during the recitation of the “Oath of a Pharmacist,” when Dr. Jennifer Cocohoba, an HIV-specialized ambulatory care pharmacist and faculty member of the School of Pharmacy, asked us to stand and face the audience with our right hands raised while repeating the oath after her. I was initially shocked at this request, but proudly recited the first verse aloud in unison with the other 121 members of the Class of 2011. However, tears began to roll down my eyes, smearing the make-up on my face and muted my voice (and worst yet, the camera man was having a ball taking pictures of me looking silly), after Dr. Cocohoba read the second verse: “I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of human suffering my primary concerns.” For the rest of the oath, I was only able to occasionally project my voice as I tried to calm this sudden surge of emotions.
I later found out that I was not the only person moved to tears after confessing the episode to one of my classmates. In response, she commented, “I am so glad you said that because I thought I was the only one who did that.” Why was reciting the “Oath of a Pharmacist” in front of a couple hundreds of spectators such an emotional event?
The purpose of the White Coat Ceremony began to unravel as I ponder over my dramatic reaction during the oath recitation. Similar to other formal events where much effort is put into its organization and implementation and where vows are publicly announced, a sense of permanent commitment is planted in the actors. Willingly taking the “Oath of a Pharmacist” with friends and family members as witnesses has made it officially a part of an ideal I am obligated to strive for. Perhaps, I shed tears for fear that I will not be able to fulfill my duty as a public servant in the future; perhaps, they were tears of elation in knowing that I am privileged to be among the top pharmacy clinicians in the nation and therefore will be adequately trained to serve my future patients.



Oath of a Pharmacist


At this time, I vow to devote my professional life to the service
of all humankind through the profession of pharmacy.

I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of
human suffering my primary concerns.

I will apply my knowledge, experience and skills to the
best of my ability to assure optimal drug therapy
outcomes for the patients I serve.

I will keep abreast of developments and maintain
professional competency in my profession of pharmacy.

I will maintain the highest principles of moral,
ethical and legal conduct.

I will embrace and advocate change in the profession of
pharmacy that improves patient care.

I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of
the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.


Developed by the American Pharmaceutical Association Academy of Students of Pharmacy and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Council of Deans Task Force on Professionalism, June 1994.



No comments: