Sunday, September 30, 2007

Orientation Week

Written on 9/14/07

It’s only the end of my first week of my professional life as a student pharmacist at UCSF, but it feels like I’ve been here so much longer. I have never had so much information presented to me in such a short period of time and I know they’ll be much more learning to do in the years to come. Our orientation activities ranged basic logistics such as how to obtain student identification cards and expectations for students’ level of professionalism to activities that foster social interactions and collaborations such as our in-depth group discussions and presentations on diversity issues.

Ever since my first encounter with the school, which dates back to 2002 (when I attended the Information Session in Long Beach), I have been continually amazed with the level of organization and thought behind each school event. Things always seem to be well planned out and executed smoothly and effectively. The speakers that represent the school, including faculty, staff, volunteers, and students, show confidence without sounding too cocky. This element of modesty, coupled with the desire to achieve higher level of development, result in the school embracement and promotion of change and innovative ideas for better healthcare to all mankind, especially the underserved population.

I am excited to be studying from among so many talented, open-minded, and well-rounded leaders in the field of pharmacy. The leadership and community service opportunities provided by the various student organizations are endless. I hope to enrich my pharmacy experience through involvement with extra curricular activities and develop my leadership skills in the four precious years as a student pharmacist in this well-established institution.

No comments: